Re: Alpha compile problem solved by Andrea (pte_alloc)

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 11:13:04 EST

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 09:55:06PM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Hmm. I was having problems reproducible with
> CONFIG_ALPHA_LARGE_VMALLOC n.
>
> Enabling the large vmalloc was my work around, because the large
> vmalloc whet back to the prelazy allocation code.

I don't have a clue about your problems but certainly the
CONFIG_ALPHA_LARGE_VMALLOC n is not racy while the
CONFIG_ALPHA_LARGE_VMALLOC y is racy.

> problem I had was entries failed to propagate across different tasks.

With CONFIG_ALPHA_LARGE_VMALLOC n the entry is propagated before
starting using the new pgd so it cannot race, there's no special page
fault case for that beacuse you will never get a page fault because of
an unmapped pgd entry in the vmalloc space in first place.

Andrea