Re: PATCH 2.4.4.3: 3rdparty driver support for kbuild

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 18:03:45 EST

Keith Owens wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 05:25:24 -0400,
> Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com> wrote:
> >The attached patch, against kernel 2.4.4-pre3, adds a feature I call
> >"3rd-party support."
>
> Already covered by my 2.5 makefile rewrite[1] which has explicit
> support for third party kernel source. Shadow trees are designed
> specifically to handle this problem. I don't see the point of adding a
> script which will only be used in 2.4, especially when the vendors
> would have to change their tarball format for 2.5 formats.
>
> (3) The kernel is constructed from multiple source trees and built in a
> separate object tree.

I don't see how multiple source trees can be merged automatically with
100% accuracy.

What happens when you build with linus-tree, xfs-tree, and
reiserfs-tree, and both XFS and reiserfs touch struct file_operations,
in conflicting ways? It takes human intervention to figure that stuff
out and resolve such conflicts.

If you support multiple source trees -> single build tree, it sounds
like are you trying to integrate cvs/diff/similar into the kernel build
system, which is whacky...

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik      | The difference between America and England is that
Building 1024    | the English think 100 miles is a long distance and