Re: Linux 2.4.3-ac12

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 07:18:03 EST

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 01:11:31PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> This is from Linus tree. You currently need gcc 2.96 or higher to build
> the 2.4.x kernel.

Which goes back to the old argument that 2.96 is a redhat-ism and not a
real compiler.

To date, no 2.96 version of gcc works properly on ARM, and I for one don't
have the expertise necessary to fix gcc myself. Do you recommend that I
stop all ARM work because of this? ;(

Anyway, the work around is a trivial one that I've already posted to the
list, including the necessary GCC version tests. Additionally David
Howells has posted a patch to remove the __builtin_expect stuff, so
this is a non-issue now.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux