Re: XFree4/gdm problems with 2.4.4-pre5

From: Olaf Titz (olaf@bigred.inka.de)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 04:12:10 EST

> Actually, I have seen this symptom [albeit intermittently: may be a
> different cause] w. kernel 2.2.18/Xfree86-3 2.4.3/Xfree86-4 - gdm doesn't
> say much, except to log one message long the lines of 'client auth
> rejected' or 'connection rejected' or something like that. Haven't been

I had this problem some months ago, where XFree86 (4.0.1 IIRC) would
sometimes reject connections, giving an error message of unknown magic
cookie, under 2.4.0 but not 2.2.something. strace of the X client
shows that the cookie was in fact sent correctly.

This must have been a bug in the X server. Upgrading to 4.0.3 fixed it
(but perhaps there is a regression or it is not really fixed, only masked?)
I still have no idea what could be the cause.

Olaf