An improved natsemi driver for 2.2

From: Torrey Hoffman (torrey.hoffman@myrio.com)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 15:48:40 EST

This version of the natsemi driver is being successfully used by us (Myrio
Corporation) on hardware that has the 83815 chip on the motherboard, with
the 2.2.17 kernel. It appears to work well with both multicast and unicast,
with decent throughput. It requires the "pci-scan" module by Donald Becker
at scyld.com.

We would be very interested in any feedback on problems with 2.2.17 or
2.2.19, and our hope is that some experienced kernel developers will examine
it and alert us of potential problems we haven't tripped over yet.

Most of the code in this driver is by Donald Becker, of course. However, the
driver from scyld.com could not receive packets on our hardware. We started
from the modified version posted by Jocelyn Mayer. That one sort of worked
for us but had problems. Our version backed out some of those changes, and
has fixes for CRC calculation, reading the MAC address from the EEPROM, and
other things.

I (Torrey Hoffman) am not the developer of our version, although I did go
through it and clean it up a little. I am the alleged "Linux expert" here,
and if there are problems with the driver I am the person to contact.

I'm cc'ing everyone on my "natsemi" address list, please trim followups.
I do read the mailing list, but please cc me if responding.

Thanks.

Torrey Hoffman
torrey.hoffman@myrio.com
thoffman@hotmail.com