2.5 and beyond (was Re: New SYM53C8XX driver in 2.4.3-ac5 FIXES CD Writing!!!!)

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 19:08:02 EST

Matthew Grant wrote:
> Linus,
>
> Can't we have a controlled development tree branch for 2-3 months just to get
> the ReiserFS/LVM/quota/knfsd integration done _cleanly_ (this has significant
> short-term benefits NOW), with the brakes on all other changes, and another
> development tree where everyone goes wild with NUMA/Networking et al., where
> the changes from the other get merged???

We have -got- to get 2.4 stable and sane first. It's a psychological
thing, but if Linus opens 2.5 now, people will ignore the existing 2.4
problems that need attention.

If LVM et. al. is fundamentally broken in 2.4, then mark it experimental
and support it via external patches. That's the way these things are
always dealt it, when you need a feature set beyond the existing stable
kernel.

Patience, grasshopper :)

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik       | Sam: "Mind if I drive?"
Building 1024     | Max: "Not if you don't mind me clawing at the dash