RE: Still IRQ routing problems with VIA

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 13:01:07 EST

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Manuel A. McLure wrote:
> This may be the difference - I always set "Plug-n-Play OS: No" on all my
> machines. Linux works fine and it doesn't seem to hurt Windows 98 any.

Correct, it's perfectly fine to do that on all machines (not just Via).
Users should also set "PNP OS: No" for Linux 2.2...

Other BIOS settings to verify:
Assign IRQ to VGA: no (optional, but you probably don't need a VGA IRQ)
Operating System: other (or Unix, depending on the BIOS)
Memory hole: no

Unless you are using ISA cards, make sure all your PCI plug-n-play
IRQ settings are set to "PCI/PnP" not "ISA/ICU".

hmmm, maybe I should write a Linux kernel BIOS guide/FAQ...

        Jeff