kernel gen prot fault

From: A C G Mennucc (debian@Tonelli.sns.it)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 04:35:51 EST

hi

please help!

my Debian system , (Pentium 133) which has run seamlessly for 5 years
(thru several upgrades of SW and HW)
is now totally unrealible , and has been for 15 days :
from time to time, apprx once a day,
it suddenly freezes , for no apparent reasons; then, it doesnt even respond
to ping from the net

I have tried many approaches :
1) cleaned the heatsink and the fan (which actually had stuck, but now
 is running fine)
2) tried changing : video card , motherboard & CPU, memory , ethernet card
 ( I work in a university, we have a lot of old spare parts)

so I am left with no ideas of what I should do, my last chances are
1) change HD (but this one was bought 3 months ago !)
2) buy a new PC altogether
3) bang my head on the wall (yes, when it crashed on friday evening after the
 3rd total rearragnment of HW, I had that temptation)

the only sign that I have had are some 'general protection faults'
from the kernel which I cant 'decrypt'

I am running kernel 2.2.18 ( Debian packaging)

I attach a file , may you please tell me if that message
can suggest a solution to the prbl

thanks thanks for any hint

a.