Re: athlon+2.2+pdc20267=hang?

From: Henrik Størner (henrik@storner.dk)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 04:19:02 EST

In <18520000.985334866@skittlebrau.trafford.dementia.org> Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:

>Earlier today I swapped an Athlon (tbird) 850 and an Epox 8KTA3 in for the
>dual Celeron I had, moving all the cards into the new system. One of these
>was a Promise PDC20267 with 4 40gb disks attached. The machine would not
>boot; I assumed it was the i686-smp kernel and installed a Redhat
>7.0-provided i386 kernel. Several hours and a dozen or so boots later, it
>looks like when the bios on the PDC20267 is installed, the system hangs
>while booting at the point where it would probe C/H/S from the devices
>attached to the PDC20267 (they've already been identified by that point)

I see the same thing with an ASUS A7V133 motherboard that has a
PDC20265 installed on the motherboard. If I disable the PDC BIOS, the
system boots normally - but trying to use any UDMA mode hangs.
Ordinary mdma2 mode works fine.

So I suspect that the real culprit is the UDMA mode which the BIOS
probably enables - when I boot the the BIOS disabled, the device shows
up as running in pio mode.

All in all, I haven't had much success with the PDC controllers -
both cases I have tried will hang the system when enabling UDMA
(and there is no common hardware involved).

--
Henrik Storner      | "ATA100 is another testimony to the fact that
<henrik@storner.dk> |  pigs can be made to fly given sufficient thrust"