Re: st corruption with 2.4.3-pre4

From: Geert Uytterhoeven (geert@linux-m68k.org)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 13:51:45 EST

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Gérard Roudier wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > I did some more tests:
> > - The problem also occurs when tarring up files from a disk on the Sym53c875.
> > - The corrupted data always occurs at offset 32*x (the `+1' above was caused
> > by hexdump, starting counting at 1).
> > - The 32 bytes of corrupted data at offset 32*x are always a copy of the data
> > at offset 32*x-10240.
> > - Since 10240 is the default blocksize of tar (bug in tar?), I made a tarball
> > on disk instead of on tape, but no corruption.
> > - 32 is the size of a cacheline on PPC. Is there a missing cacheflush
> > somewhere in the Sym53c875 driver? But then it should happen on disk as
> > well?
>
> The only PCI transaction that requires the cache line size to be correctly
> configured is PCI WRITE and INVALIDATE. This transaction may be used by
> the 875 only for data read from a SCSI device and DMAed to memory.
>
> Note that the controller may use optimized PCI transactions only if the
> cache line size is configured in its PCI device configuration space.
> Otherwise only normal PCI memory read and PCI memory write transactions
> will be used.
>
> Could you check if the cache line size is configured for your 875?

It's set to 0 :-(

> Let me imagine it is so. Btw, I may be wasting my time if it is not ...
> Then the 875 may also use PCI read multiple transactions and/or PCI read
> line transactions when reading data from memory. If the corruption is due
> to the use of these transactions, the the PCI-HOST bridges may well be the
> culprit, in my opinion.
>
> Anyway, since the sym53c8xx driver does not try to change the configured
> cache line size on PPC, I would suggest to try again the same tests with
> the cache line size set to zero for the 875. You may hack the driver code
> or the PPC pci code if needed, for example, for value zero to be written
> in the proper place in the PCI configuration space of the 875.

So this is not the case.

Any more clues? I want to try different tape drives as well, but so far the
first batch of old DDS drives I found at work seem to be no longer functional.
Let's fetch some other drives tomorrow :-)

BTW, I tried my good old 2.4.0-test1-ac10 kernel from June 2000, and it also
suffered from the same problem. Also note that I did read/write tests on the
tape drive when I just bought it and when I installed the Sym53c875 later, and
I never noticed the problem. So I'm still willing to believe it's a software
bug in recent(?) kernels...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that. -- Linus Torvalds