Question on binutils release to use

From: Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 18:27:14 EST

Hi all,

    I'm looking into upgrading my binutils to the latest stable release. I
do kernel work so I'm guessing from previous experience that I have to get
the Linux specific one. I tracked the linux specific versions down to
ftp.kernel.org but am not certain as to which one is the latest stable
release. The frequency of releases posted there make it look like the
snapshot released are interposed with the stable releases and the release
notes don't appear to be helpful as all the releases have been labeled as
"beta". Checking into a couple of distributions in development I also
notice they are not using anything beyond 2.10.1.x so I'm a bit concerned
about just getting the latest binutils package from the ftp directory. May
someone please point me to the latest release considered as stable and which
will work with all kernel compiles (2.2.x and 2.4.x). Or if I can safely
use the latest release in the binutils directory please let me know as well.
Thank you.