Re: gettimeofday question

From: Eli Carter (eli.carter@inet.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 17:27:13 EST

Eli Carter wrote:

> Russell King wrote:
> >
> > Eli Carter writes:
> > > What are you seeing that I'm missing?
> >
> > Ok, after sitting down and thinking again about this problem, its not
> > the 9.9999ms case, but the 10.000000001 case:
> [snip]
> > Like I say, this requires good timing to create, so may not be too much of
> > a problem, but it does seem to be a problem that could occur.
>
> It appears that this problem is easier to create than we originally gave
> credit for.... All that is needed is for gettimeoffset() not to be
> called for a _minimum_ of >10ms, and for the timer to wrap during a call
> to do_gettimeofday() or during a period of time where interrupts are
> disabled and do_gettimeofday() is called. Note that there is no upper
> limit to the time...
>
> If we call gettimeoffset() after do_timer() returns (and there-by update
> the internal variables every 10ms), we should reduce the impact of this
> bug dramatically (in theory--in practice, disabling interrupts for long
> periods can also have some bad effects that this won't help, but I think
> that's another issue.)
>
> One of the guys I'm working with did some testing on this, and he was
> seeing this problem (off by 10ms) every 5 to 10 minutes (on a modified
> ARM & kernel). With the additional gettimeoffset() call, he no longer
> saw it (at least within ~3hrs.).
>
> Questions, comments, etc.?

Another thought...

If we pull count_p and jiffies_p out of the various *_gettimeoffset()
functions, and added an updatetimeoffset() that only updated count_p and
jiffies_p, (and called it after every do_timer(),) we'd accomplish the
same thing, but with less overhead.

(This is based on looking at the ARM code; I haven't fully studied the
x86 & others.)

Questions, comments, etc?

Eli