Re: VIA audio and parport in 2.4.2

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 09:49:07 EST

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 09:19:35AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Attempting to pretend that the parallel port is not in an interrupt
> driven mode by passing irq=none is folly.

No, that's not what it's for. It means 'for Christ sake don't use
interrupts, I know what I'm doing'.

> If irq=none is passed to tell the Via code to -force- the parallel
> port into a non-irq-driven mode is one thing. If irq=none is passed
> to hide a problem with spurious interrupts, we need to fix that
> problem, not hide it.

irq=none is passed in order to diagnose whether a problem happens on
only the interrupt-driven path or not. Read the trouble-shooting
section parport.txt. Understand that there are lots of printing code
paths nowadays (polling, interrupt-driven, PIO, DMA, etc).

> I still am not convinced that irq=<anything> should affect the Via
> code at all. Maybe I can print out a message "irq=foo ignored".

Jeff, it needs to. If you want to make irq=auto the default
(currently it's 'probe only'), then that is an entirely different
thing.

When the user tells you not to use interrupts, you'd better not.

> Optionally, I could handle irq=none by force-disabling the parallel
> port's interrupt driven modes, if they are active.

What the hell for? Just don't use the interrupts.

Tim.
*/