Re: sysrq.txt

From: Tom Rini (trini@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 19:16:23 EST

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:00:53AM +0100, J. Michael Kolbe wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 04:21:35PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 11:14:03PM +0000, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > > I included Mr Kolbe's one-liner in the SAK patch which I put
> > > out on Sunday. Now my head is spinning.
> > >
> > > What *should* the change to sysrq.txt say?
> >
> > Well, I think:
> >
> > On PowerPC - You press 'ALT-Print Screen (or F13)-<command key>
> >
> > Which is what 2.2 says, but mentions F13 directly (incase print screen isn't
> > on the key.). The above even makes sense for 2 of my machines which have
> > working sysrq and keyboards.
>
> Well, I've just found an old USB Keyboard, none of the mentioned
> Keyboard combos work, as there is neither F13 nor PrintScreen.

Yes, as SysRq quite possibly doesn't work on (since none of the keys on it
send the right keycode.)

> Btw, I'm using an old Newworld G3, the one with ADB.

The old one. :)

> I'd say sysrq.txt should say:
>
> On PowerPC - Press 'ALT - Print Screen (or F13) - <command key>
> On Newworld PPC - You press 'Keypad+ - Print Screen (or F13) - <command key>
>
> I'm still trying to figure out how to do it with the F13-less Keyboard..

Er, I thought you just said you did? What keycodes are you using? Most
"Newworld" only have the F13-less keyboard. Which sort of raises the question
of how 'Keypad +' worked instead of the "ALT" key (either option/alt or the
scroll key, whichever changes VC). Which sounds more like a fluke then
anything else. Which keyboard worked with 'Keypad +' ? The ADB one?
After some quick playing with my oldworld machine, Just F13 - <command key>
is sufficient. I'm not sure about PReP tho (so it's probably not worth
saying you don't need "ALT").

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/