right way to export VM data to userspace for a performance tool

From: bert hubert (ahu@ds9a.nl)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 18:18:25 EST

Hi everybody,

I want to write a tool that can extract information from the kernel about
the VM situation. Conceptually, I want something that looks like this:

# cacheinfo /var/mysql/data/powerdns/records.MYD
75% of blocks in memory
12% dirty
# cacheinfo -d -v /var/mysql/data/powerdns/records.MYD
0 M
1 M
2 -
3 -
4 D

Before writing this, I'm wondering how the kernel people feel that this sort
of information should be exported to userland. There are lots of options,
but not being a kernel architect/philosopher, I don't have a clue.

My goal is to have a patch included in the main kernel, so it is very
important that I write stuff people will agree on.

Please let me know what you think.

Kind regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Versatile DNS Services
Trilab                       The Technology People