parport not detected

From: Michael B. Allen (mballen@erols.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 18:52:53 EST

The parallel port is not being detected on my ABIT KT7A KT133 w/ Athlon
900 running 2.2.17 w/ Hendricks IDE patches and RH 6.2. I tried most of
the settings in the bios.

BIOS options are:

728/IRQ5
378/IRQ7
3BC/IRQ7

with the possible modes:

Normal
EPP
        1.9 or 1.7
ECP
        DMA 3 or 1
ECP+EPP
        1.9 or 1.7 and DMA 3 or 1

Of the above what's optimal?

[miallen@nano /etc]$ cat conf.modules
alias eth0 3c59x
alias char-major-6 parport_pc
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

Also, the module is loading with depmod:

[miallen@nano 0]$ for i in /proc/parport/0/*; do echo $i; cat $i; done
/proc/parport/0/autoprobe
/proc/parport/0/devices
/proc/parport/0/hardware
base: 0x3bc
irq: none
dma: none
modes: SPP
/proc/parport/0/irq
none

I also tried an options line in modules.conf. I believe it was:

options parport_pc io=0x3bc irq=7

That was reflected in /proc but no difference in actually "detecting"
the parallel port. I did see the light come on on the printer once
though. Also, if I build parpart into the kernel I get nothing but a
hard lockup on 'Starting kswapd v 1.5'.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike