Re: fork and pthreads

From: Craig Ruff (cruff@ucar.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 13:03:14 EST

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 06:52:26PM +0100, Richard Guenther wrote:
> Well, using pthreads and forking in them seems to trigger libc
> bugs (read: SIGSEGvs) here under certain conditions (happens,
> after I introduced signal handlers and using pthread_sigmask,
> I think), so hangs should be definitely possible, too...

You must pretty much avoid using signal handlers with pthreads.
In stead, you need to carefully setup things such that most signals
are blocked in most threads and a single thread (or selected set
of threads) does a sigwait for signals of interest. Most good
pthreads books talk about this issue, as does the DCE documentation.