RE: How to optimize routing performance

From: Martin Josefsson (gandalf@wlug.westbo.se)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 03:08:06 EST

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Mårten Wikström wrote:

[much text]
> Thanks! I'll try that out. How can I tell if the driver supports
> CONFIG_NET_HW_FLOWCONTROL? I'm not sure, but I think the cards are
> tulip-based, can I then use Robert & Jamal's optimised drivers?
> It'll probably take some time before I can do further testing. (My employer
> thinks I've spent too much time on it already...).

I don't really know how to tell except
'grep CONFIG_NET_HW_FLOWCONTROL driverfiles'

You said that the cards where 100Mbit DEC cards, I assumed that by that
you meant that the cards use DECchip 21143 or similar chips.
If that's true you can use Robert & Jamal's optimised drivers.

Sorry to hear that your employer doesn't see the importance in such a test
:)

> FYI, Linux had _much_ better delay variation characteristics than FreeBSD.
> Typically no packet was delayed more than 100usec, whereas FreeBSD had some
> packets delayed about 2-3 msec.

This sounds promising. So Linux had nice variations until it broke down
completely and stopped routing because of all the interrupts. I can almost
guarantee that with the optimised driver and CONFIG_NET_HW_FLOWCONTROL
you'll see a _big_ improvement in routingperformance.

/Martin