Re: Kernel 2.4.2 command execution hangs and then succeded after 2 minutes....!? END!

From: Andrea Barisani (lcars@infis.univ.trieste.it)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 13:13:55 EST

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Andrea Barisani wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Manfred Spraul wrote:
>
> > Could you use strace and check what the apps are doing during these 2
> > minutes?
> >
> > Perhaps it's a variation of the nis hang:
> > 2.4 doesn't forword udp error messages to the user space app, and thus a
> > nis query to a nonexistant nis server blocks until the udp packets time
> > out.

Ok!

I've removed all nis reference in /etc/nsswitch.conf and now there are no
more hangs...I have to admit, learning that thew execution process of tar
is somehow related to nis,portmap is a little weird :) (but that's part of
the fun isn't it?).

Thanks again for the help

Bye

P.S.
Does anyone think that this kind of problem must be documentated in
the kernel documentation?