Re: Mapping a piece of one process' addrspace to another?

From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo@alsa-project.org)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 04:20:11 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Abramo Bagnara wrote:
>
> > Alexander Viro wrote:

> > > Ugh. Why not make that a named pipe and use zerocopy stuff for pipes?
> > > I.e. why bother with making it look like a character device rather than
> > > a FIFO?
> >
> > What about ioctl? Device drivers sometimes need it ;-)
>
> No, they don't. OOB data is equivalent to data on parallel channel.

Al, you're perfectly right in principle (although last time I've checked
pipe and unix socket did not support OOB data. Is this changed
recently?).

But you're forgetting that we need to cope with non collaborative
applications (that *use* ioctl).

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo@alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy