Re: Microsoft ZERO Sector Virus, Result of Taskfile WAR

From: James A. Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 16:23:47 EST

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Jens Axboe wrote:
>
> > But I might want to do this (write sector 0), why would we want
> > to filter that? If someone a) uses an email client that will execute
> > java script code (or whatever) and b) runs that as root (which
> > he would have to do, surely no ordinary user has privileges to send
> > arbitrary commands) then he gets what he deserves.
>
> Jens we are not going there....the filter is the only way known to jam
> unknown commands,

Erm... the hoax "virus" was about writing to the first sector of the disk,
overriding the partition table. If "write data" is an "unknown command",
HTF am I supposed to store data on my HDD? :P

> and you missed the point of the issue then and I think you still miss
> it. "arbitrary commands" + wrong hander is lock-up. Everyone can do
> this, and that is fine. I will not stop the drive-command ioctl from
> issuing a drive-data command, you win!

Hrm. I like the idea of being able to filter out dodgy commands from
hitting the drive: there's a difference between the Unix philosophy of
"enough rope" and the NT approach of everything having a landmine on top
with a big red button marked "press this and see!" :)

James.