System slowdown on 2.4.2-ac5 (recurring from 2.4.1-ac20 and 2.4.0)

From: Vibol Hou (vhou@khmer.cc)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 15:26:03 EST

Hi,

This is a follow up report on a server I run which is now using 2.4.2-ac5.
It was suggested that the problem might be a NIC driver issue, but that
seems unlikely at this point.

You can find my previous posts at the following links to get a better idea
of what I am encountering:

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0101.3/0470.html
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0102.3/0401.html

The problem still persists with the new 2.4.2-ac5 kernel, and I have a
feeling it has to do with the VM subsystem. The system runs Apache, MySQL,
and Sendmail. It has ~900MB RAM. The first lockup in 2.4.2-ac5 occured
right after I transferred a large and busy MySQL DB to the server. I took
down services before the big transfer, and after the DB was switched over
and sevices turned on, it began receiving the regular ~80 queries/second.
The key_buffer for MySQL is set to 256M, which is shared amongst the MySQL
threads. Everything ran fine until 5 minutes later at which time the system
started crawling again. Load was normal ~1's across the board. I was not
able to get much useful information from this failure as SSH stopped
responding before I could get commands entered. Getty on the serial console
wasn't responding (sysrq was). The system was only up for 1 day at the
time.

The second time it occured was a few hours ago, 3 days after the last system
reboot (last failure). I grabbed all the SysRQ information I could before
restarting the system. I have that info attached. It includes memory
readings and process lists before and after killing/terminating processes.
I don't really know how to interpret the information given, so I am hoping
someone can help sift through the information. There was little I could
retrieve from the SSH shell I was in when the system slowed down.

A note, the serial console does function with SysRQ, so it seems getty is
also affected by the slowdown.

I would appreciate any guidance you can provide on this issue.

Thanks,
Vibol Hou
KhmerConnection