Re: scsi vs ide performance on fsync's

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 02:03:02 EST

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Jonathan Morton wrote:

> It's pretty clear that the IDE drive(r) is *not* waiting for the physical
> write to take place before returning control to the user program, whereas
> the SCSI drive(r) is. Both devices appear to be performing the write

Wrong, IDE does not unplug thus the request is almost, I hate to admit it
SYNC and not ASYNC :-( Thus if the drive acks that it has the data then
the driver lets go.

> immediately, however (judging from the device activity lights). Whether
> this is the correct behaviour or not, I leave up to you kernel hackers...

Seagate has a better seek profile than ibm.
The second access is correct because the first one pushed the heads to the
pre-seek. Thus the question is were is the drive leaving the heads when
not active? It does not appear to be in the zone 1 region.

> IMHO, if an application needs performance, it shouldn't be syncing disks
> after every write. Syncing means, in my book, "wait for the data to be
> committed to physical media" - note the *wait* involved there - so syncing
> should only be used where data integrity in the event of a system failure
> has a much higher importance than performance.

I have only gotten the drive makers in the past 6 months to committee to
actively updating the contents of the identify page to reflect reality.
Thus if your drive is one of those that does a stress test check that goes:
"this bozo did not really mean to turn off write caching, renabling <smurk>"

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
Linux ATA Development
ASL Kernel Development