Re: Kernel is unstable

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 18:06:39 EST

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 09:52:35AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    Show me numbers for real applications, and I might care. I saw
    barely measurable speedups (and more importantly to me - real
    simplification) by removing it.

Do large numbers of entries hurt? I have an application that when
running for a while ends up with over 2000 entries in /proc/$$/maps
because of the way it works... that is paging is more efficient that
the application swapping data out; so it continually grows until it
can no longer at which point it falls back to using it's own poor
LRU, typically means you get a single process of around 2.9GB.

Everything appears to work... but it does seem a bit clunky that
there are so many vma chunks.

Perhaps the argument here is that glibc or the application should be
fixed?

  --cw