Re: problems installing the kernel 2.4 (fwd)

From: davidge@jazzfree.com
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 18:16:26 EST

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Tania Gomes Ramos wrote:

Have you updated your modutils? Maybe that's why it's not working your
network adapter. If you didn't, take a look at
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes to find out with versions do you need
to run a 2.4 kernel.

> First of all, thanks for helping me...
> I have noticed that after I have installed the new version
> of kernel (2.4.2),I am having some problems... After compiling
> everything, and making the make install_modules, I have the message that
> there is nothing to be done in the directories... But, ok, it creates
> the modules directorie. But...
> First of all,
> 1) -- now, trying to acess the network is impossible ... the
> ifconfig just shows "lo" and the ethernets no... but, they were
> configured in the lilo in the same way they were configured with
> the old kernel. You can see the configuration in the lilo:
> (there are two partitions, and I have installed the new kernel in
> the partition altres)
>
> image= ../boot/vmlinuz.ip6
> label=lr
> append ="ether=5,0x300,eth0 ether=10, 0x210, eth1"
> initrd=..boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
> root=/dev/hda1
> read-only
>
> image= ../boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2
> label=altres
> append ="ether=5,0x300,eth0 ether=10, 0x210, eth1"
> #initrd=..boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
> root=/dev/hdc1
> read-only
>
> Well, I put a comment in front of initrd because I didnt find
> this file *.img of the new kernel...
>
> I havent changed anything else, and my computer cant see the
> network in the partition altres, but in the other one,it is
> possible.
>
> 2)The other problem is:
> After installing it, this partition (the only one which
> has version 2.4) cant reboot or halt. It starts to do that,
> but it always stops at the message:
> INIT: there is no more process left in this runlevel.
> so,I always have to reset the computer...
>
> Do you know why it is happening? And what could I do to fix it??
>
> Thank you,
> Tania Ramos
>

> -

David Gómez

"The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
 whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra