How do I use syscalls in a module ?

From: Bogdan HARJOC (bodi@coldpc.ab.edu.ro)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 05:49:48 EST

        HI. I'm not sure I'm supposed to ask newbie questions here, if so,
I'm sorry. But here goes:

        I'm trying to do a driver for a kind of modem that doesn't use
serial ports, but parralel. So I thought it would be enough to simulate a
ttyS* device. But I need to read from a file the parameters for the modem.
I tried using asm/unistd.h, but when I call open(), I get "Bad adress" as
an error. What I would like to know is can syscalls (eg open()/close()/
lseek()/...) be used in a module, and if so, how ?

Thanx for reading.

Bogdan.