Re: VM balancing problems under 2.4.2-ac1

From: Ingo Oeser (ingo.oeser@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2001 - 12:26:01 EST

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 01:03:26AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > If anybody as a good idea to make this code auto-balancing,
> > please let me know.
>
> I have no idea for auto-balancing but another idea: It's one possibility
> to let the user choose when doing "make *config" what he wants:
>
> - A VM optimized for servers that swaps out applications in favor of
> caching.
> or
> - A VM optimized for workstations that won't swap out applications in
> favor of caching.

I thought about the same thing sometimes (but for other troughput
vs. latency decisions, too).

But I realized, that my very own workstation is also a server,
since it runs an httpd, mysqld, smbd, ftpd etc.

And somtimes the servers become very busy in our LAN[1].

IF we want that tuning, we should have it as a sysctl. Most of it
is already possible with /proc/sys/vm/*, but balancing decisions
are still missing.

And even for servers we need to reduce caching sometimes. Think
of an httpd serving _very_ dynamic content. Or any other
application (e.g. DMBS), that doesn't rely on file system
caching.

A anonymous/file-backed[2] ratio would be VERY handy ;-)

But maybe this will be implemented one day along the lines of QoS
in the VM...

Regards

Ingo Oeser

[1] >1500 possible clients for these servers.
[2] Not counting swaps as file backed. We have a special inode
   for the swapper anyway, right?

--
10.+11.03.2001 - 3. Chemnitzer LinuxTag <http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<       come and join the fun       >>>>>>>>>>>>