Re: LILO error with 2.4.3-pre1...

From: Tom Sightler (ttsig@tuxyturvy.com)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 21:27:15 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Owens" <kaos@ocs.com.au>
To: <sjhill@cotw.com>
Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2001 8:39 PM
Subject: Re: LILO error with 2.4.3-pre1...

> On Sat, 03 Mar 2001 19:19:28 -0600,
> "Steven J. Hill" <sjhill@cotw.com> wrote:
> >I have no idea why the 1023 limit is coming up considering 2.4.2 and
> >LILO were working just fine together and I have a newer BIOS that has
> >not problems detecting the driver properly. Go ahead, call me idiot :).
>
> OK, you're an idiot :). It only worked before because all the files
> that lilo used just happened to be below cylinder 1024. Your partition
> goes past cyl 1024 and your new kernel is using space above 1024.

I would agree with this explanation.

> Find a version of lilo that can cope with cyl >= 1024 (is there one?)

Uh, the version he has can cope with this, see the following:

> LILO version 21.4-4, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
> 'lba32' extensions Copyright (C) 1999,2000 John Coffman

The lba32 extensions should take care of this, of course you have to add
'lba32' as a line in your lilo.conf before lilo actually uses them (and, I
assume, the BIOS must support the LBA extensions, but it seems most modern
ones do).

Give that a try. Works for me.

Later,
Tom