Re: RFC: changing precision control setting in initial FPU context

From: Ulrich Drepper (drepper@redhat.com)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 19:45:44 EST

buhr@stat.wisc.edu (Kevin Buhr) writes:

> > You want peoples existing applications to suddenely and magically change
> > their results. Umm problem.
>
> So, how would you feel about a mechanism whereby the kernel could be
> passed a default FPU control word by the binary (with old binaries, by
> default,

There will be no change whatsoever with me. The existing ABI is
fixed. If you want your programs to behave different set the mode
appropriately. I have not the slightest interest in seeing
applications (including the libc) being broken just because of this
stupid idea. No kernel and no libc modifications necessary. This is
the end of the story as far as I'm concerned.