Re: Should isa-pnp utilize the PnP BIOS?

From: Thomas Hood (jdthoodREMOVETHIS@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 19:33:43 EST

Okay, a couple of people have responded positively to this
suggestion. The next question is, how should it be implemented?

How 'bout:

$ cd pcmcia-cs/modules
$ cp pnp_bios.c pnp_proc.c pnp_rsrc.c /usr/src/linux/2.4.2a/drivers/pnp
$ cd ../include/linux
$ cp pnp_bios.h pnp_resource.h /usr/src/linux/2.4.2a/include/linux
Edit makefiles
Edit isapnp.c to include new global flag "isapnp_usepnpbios",
  a MODULE_PARM, which each isapnp function checks at entry.
  If the flag is set then: in the case of "low-level" functions,
  return immediately; in the case of "high-level" functions, call
  appropriate pnp_bios functions to perform the task; in the case
  of isapnp_init(), just check isapnp_disabled and exit. isapnp's
  /proc interface would not be supported. Presumably
  inter_module_get_request() would be used to call the isapnp-bios
  routines.

Comments? (Go easy on me; I'm a newbie at kernel hacking.)

Thomas