What does the linux kernel need?

From: Yuri Niyazov (yuricake@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 12:12:45 EST

Hello, respected Linux kernel developers,
    I am currently a university student taking a "Advanced design of
Operating Systems" class at
New York University. We are reviewing some basic and studying a few
advanced issues with regards
to kernel design, mostly multithreading, scalability, performance
improvement - its webpage is http://www.scs.cs.nyu.edu/G22.3033-010/
take a look if you please. The requirement of the class is a final
project proposal and
implementation of a student's own choosing - I would really like to do
something useful for the
linux kernel, but I do not know what kinds of issues are most imminent
at the linux kernel and
have to be worked on. I would greatly appreciate it if people would
send me ideas of what is
needed and what I can work on - it can be pretty much anything, any
topic or project, but it must
relate to kernel development, thus I am asking it here.
I am not subscribed to the list yet, please CC to me your reply.
Thank you very much,
Yuri Niyazov