2.4.1/2.4.2-pre3 lockup unmounting usbdevfs

From: Gregory T. Norris (haphazard@socket.net)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 21:50:15 EST

I'm getting an intermittent (but fairly reproducible) lockup under
2.4.1 and 2.4.2-pre3, which seems to be occurring when usbdevfs is
unmounted. The system appears to freeze almost completely; I can still
switch VCs (assuming I wasn't in X at the time) but little else.
Sometimes (but not always) the console shows the message "VFS: Busy
inodes after unmount. Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...".
At least it's a very polite crash! (-:

The sysreq-(b|p|t|m) combinations work, but sysreq-(s|u) don't... they
display the appropriate console message, but there is no indication of
any disk activity whatsoever.

The 2.4.1 kernel had the crypto (patch-int-2.4.0.3) and Jens Axboe's
loopback (loop-3) patches applied; 2.4.2-pre3 kernel had only the
crypto patch. I've attached the output from two ksymoops runs... I had
to copy them by hand, so hopefully I didn't miskey anything. Both are
from the 2.4.1 kernel, as I was in X when I finally reproduced it under
2.4.2-pre3.

As for the specific hardware, the system is a dual PIII-600MHz with
512MB, using the i840 chipset. It has an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI
controller, and a Matrox G400.

Comments and suggestions are, of course, quite welcome.