Manual SCSI bus reset?

From: German Gomez Garcia (kahuna@ksoft.dnsalias.net)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 20:00:39 EST

        Hello,

        I've got Plexwriter 12x10x32S attached to an onbard AIC7890
(besides other things as three IBM UWSCSI harddisks, an SCSI ZIP and a
Pioneer DVD) and sometimes when recording a CD the Plexwriter fails at the
very end of the process (although the CD is recorded correctly) and it is
locked with no posibility to eject it (it seems that a failure while
reading from the DVD during on-the-fly recording is the cause).

        But if I reset the SCSI bus manually, that is trying to read from
a "reset-it CD", that is completely broken and makes the SCSI bus resets
itself, I can eject the CD from the Plexwriter. So I would like to know if
there is a way to do it without that trick. I've downloaded some utilities
for the SCSI generic driver, one of them should let you reset the bus (or
even just a single device) but it fails with "SCSI_RESET" not supported
and after reading through the docs it seems that the kernel (or should I
say the SCSI drivers) doesn't support this kind of reset.

        I would like to know if this is "kernel politics", "faulty
hardware", or just lazy programmers ;-), thanks and please CC the answer
to me as I'm not subscribed to this mailing list.

        - german