Stale super_blocks in 2.2

From: Phil Auld (pauld@egenera.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 17:23:57 EST

Hello,

        It appears that the umount path in the 2.2 series kernels
does not do anything to invalidate the buffers associated with the
unmounted device. We then rely on disk change detection on a
subsequent mount to prevent us from seeing the old super_block.

Since deja was gobbled by google it's hard to do a good search of
this list. Can anyone take the time to help me understand the reason
for this choice? This seems to me to be backwards. When a device is
unmounted there should be no cached information.

Thanks for the help,

Phil