Re: 2.4.[01] and duron - unresolved symbol _mmx_memcpy

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 02:23:13 EST

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 07:47:33 +0100,
"Ph. Marek" <marek@mail.bmlv.gv.at> wrote:
>and the modules dependencies are not all set!
>make modules_install does not check for modules compilation - says
>"cp: file not found". I think that's because modules_install doesn't
>depend on the modules

Correct. The current recursive makefile design means it is difficult
to get a definitive list of modules without excessive overhead. So
modules_install assumes that you have compiled the modules already and
lets the 'cp' command fail. The 2.5 Makefile redesign will get this
right.

>grep _mmx_memcpy /proc/ksyms
> c01a4e20 _mmx_memcpy_R__ver__mmx_memcpy

Broken 2.4 makefile design. http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s8-8
The 2.5 makefile redesign will kill this problem once and for all.