Re: [ANNOUNCE] Animated framebuffer logo for 2.4.1

From: Rafael E. Herrera (raffo@cdi.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 02:11:10 EST

> Not good enough in isolation. Suppose the kernel freezes at a very early
> stage, such as while detecting the CPU(s) or PCI bridge - are your geeky
> reaction times fast enough to dismiss the logo in time to see the relevant
> messages? I agree with others that this should be a boot option - and not
> Eg: in lilo.conf use append = "bootlogo" to turn the logo on (it should
> always be off by default, but can be turned on by distro makers or
> end-users) - but then if you type "linux nologo" at the LILO prompt, the
> "nologo" should over-ride the "bootlogo" so there's always a way to see all
> the messages.

In a PC and if using lilo, you always get a lilo prompt (if so
configured) after the initial power on tests. Passing a "nologo" option
to lilo would seem a reasonable way to turn the feature off. The same
could apply to othe boot loaders and other archs. By the way, suse 7.1
has a graphical boot, no animation though, just a big penguin; some
hacked lilo version, maybe?

--
     Rafael