Re: LILO and serial speeds over 9600

From: Werner Almesberger (Werner.Almesberger@epfl.ch)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 18:11:23 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> Explain 'controlled buffer overrun'.

That's probably the ability to send new data even if there's unacked old
data (e.g. because the receiver can't keep up or because we've had losses).

Such a feature would be mainly useful in cases where data becomes useless
if too old, e.g. VoIP. Ironically, for the console, the opposite may be
true: if the kernel all of a sudden starts vomiting printks, the relevant
information is more likely to be at the beginning than at the end.

One advantage of TCP would be that such an implementation is more likely
to get congestion control right, so it would be safer to use over the
Internet. (And using UDP wouldn't make this any easier.) Also, when using
TCP, it's more likely that some reasonable session management is built
into the design.

BTW, as far as the boot loader is concerned: any of the Linux boots Linux
designs should nicely solve this, with the possible exception of
environments where a legacy OS needs to be booted. Reminds me that I should
find some time besides traffic control to work a bit on bootimg ...

- Werner