Re: LILO and serial speeds over 9600

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 17:46:57 EST

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > I have toyed a few times about having a simple Ethernet- or UDP-based
> > > console protocol (TCP is too heavyweight, sorry) where a machine would
> > > seek out a console server on the network. Anyone has any ideas about
> > > it?
> >
> > Excellent plan: data centre sysadmins the world over will worship your
> > name if it works...
>
> Sounds like MOP on the old Vaxen. TCP btw isnt as heavyweight as people
> sometimes think. You can (and people have) implemented a simple TCP client
> and IP and SLIP in 8K of EPROM on a 6502. There is a common misconception
> that a TCP must be complex.
>
> All you actually _have_ to support is receiving frames in order, sending one
> frame at a time when the last data is acked and basic backoff. You dont have
> to parse tcp options, you dont have to support out of order reassembly.

It's not a huge undertaking, I know, but UDP will probably still be
a bit simpler. Turn the question around: would using TCP bring any real
benefits, in a system which will only be used to shift a few kb each boot
time?

At a later date, perhaps TCP could be used - it would certainly make sense
for the kernel-side code: once you have a fully-fledged IP stack, why not
use it. There's no reason the server couldn't support both, and machines
would just use whichever was more appropriate at the time.

James.

Please read the FAQ at http://vger.kernel.org/lkml/