Re: [ANNOUNCE] Animated framebuffer logo for 2.4.1

From: Miles Lane (miles@megapathdsl.net)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 17:00:31 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>

>> Right. Add the option. Default to "spew mode",
>> but make it easy for distributions to show people
>> a non-threatening boot process.
>
> Wrong.

We're talking about an _option_. In fact, it could
be set up as a boot time parameter. Then, if a boot
process gets wedged, the user can just reboot with
the option disabled.

I really don't understand why this is such a hot
button for some people. I repeat "option."

>> Since, as Christophe mentions, the boot messages would
>> still be accessible via CTRL-ALT-F2, I don't see what
>> the problem is with at least making this an option.
>
> If your system crashes hard, you have only graphical logo to stare
> at. Any warning messages are hidden. Not good.

Again. Boot parameter.

        Miles

Please read the FAQ at http://vger.kernel.org/lkml/