Re: LILO and serial speeds over 9600

From: Scott Laird (laird@internap.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 14:49:26 EST

On 12 Feb 2001, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Just checked my own code, and SYSLINUX does indeed support 115200 (I
> changed this to be a 32-bit register ages ago, apparently.) Still
> doesn't answer the question "why"... all I think you do is increase
> the risk for FIFO overrun and lost characters (flow control on a boot
> loader console is vestigial at the best.)

It's simple -- we want the kernel to have its serial console running at
115200, and we don't want to have to change speeds to talk to the
bootloader. Some boot processes, particularaly fsck, can be *REALLY*
verbose on screwed up systems. I've seen systems take hours to run fsck,
even on small filesystems, simply because they were blocking on a 9600 bps
console.

Scott

Please read the FAQ at http://vger.kernel.org/lkml/