Re: lkml subject line

From: Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 10:13:47 EST

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 01:33:24PM +0200, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 11:20:40AM +0000, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > Dear all (and list maintainers in particular)
> >
> > Wouldn't it be a good idea to prepend all lkml subjects with [LKML] like
> > many other lists do to distinguish lkml messages from the rest.
>
> NO!
>
> Have you ever seen reply-chains resulting at such schemes ?
>
> Re: [FOO] Re: [FOO] Re: [FOO] Re: [FOO] subject text

Matti - that is not a very good reason.

No doubt we are able to write software that prepends [FOO]
and then removes all other instances on [FOO].
Many mailing lists do precisely that.

There are advantages: distinguish personal messages from
mailing list messages, and distinguish between different
mailing lists. And disadvantages - maybe only one:
sacrificing valuable Subject: line space.

I would not be against a [LK] label.

Andries
Please read the FAQ at http://vger.kernel.org/lkml/