Re: [OT] Major Clock Drift

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 06:47:41 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > Vesafb is happy to block interrupts for half a second.
> >
> > And has this been observed to cause clock drift?
>
> YEs. I've seen time running 3 times slower. Just do cat /etc/termcap
> with loaded PCI bus. Yesterday I lost 20 minutes during 2 hours -- I
> have been using USB (load PCI) and framebuffer.

That's not good. Very not good.

James Simmons has been looking into using something other
than spin_lock_irq(console_lock) to provide the
serialisation which these drivers need. Apparently
it got messy. I'm interested in getting involved
with this problem as well. Sounds like it may not be
2.4 stuff though.