Re: [ANNOUNCE] Animated framebuffer logo for 2.4.1

From: Miles Lane (miles@megapathdsl.net)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 06:47:58 EST

Werner Almesberger wrote:

> Miles Lane wrote:
>
>> Since, as Christophe mentions, the boot messages would
>> still be accessible via CTRL-ALT-F2, I don't see what
>> the problem is with at least making this an option.
>

> Except if some initialization hangs your machine so badly that it even
> won't respond to Ctrl-Alt-F2.
>
> This could of course be cured by a little window where the last three or
> four printk lines are shown ...

Actually, this is the best reason I've heard for not including
this "prettyfication" functionality at all. Obviously, we
_do_ want people to be able to collect a complete OOPS.

I suppose perhaps an even more useful tweak to the this
idea would be that if the user holds down a special key
during the start of boot, the whole prettyfication stuff
isn't used and the VT number 1 gets all the boot messages.

        Miles