problem using ppp on serial modem for kernel 2.4.x

From: hingwah@programmer.net
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 01:59:50 EST

Hello all,

        Recently I try to upgrade kernel 2.2.x to 2.4.x (the problem occur
both for 2.4.0 and 2.4.1). When I use kernel 2.2.x before and use the serial modem to connect internet and telnet to some Chinese bbs ( in which 8-bit character is used,e.g bbs.e-fever.org ,bbs.org.hk ,it work fine. However,when I change to use kernel 2.4.x). Problem occur and the telnet seem hang in the menu, I try to telnet to other machine first and telnet to the bbs again,the problem still occur. However, if I use ssh to connect to other machine and connect to the bbs again, it work fine. I wonder if there is some 8-bit character treated as some control code for pppd. Should I set something about asyncmap in /etc/ppp/options?
I have tried enable "asyncmap 0" or use "defaultasyncmap" or "escape 11,13,ff) but it seem don't work.

P.S I have upgraded to pppd 2.4.x and the address machine can be login by "guest" after the login prompt