Re: [OT] Re: 2.4.x, drm, g400 and pci_set_master

From: Paul Jakma (paulj@itg.ie)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 23:56:29 EST

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Alex Deucher wrote:

> There is preliminary support for pcigart in the dri tree. I believe
> some people have had some success with it.

but there doesn't need to be. DEC 2x17x Alpha chipsets have an IOMMU
for hardware scatter-gather support. (ie generic agpgart for the PCI
bus).

why put in mga specific code? generic support for the IOMMU
capabilities of every recent (since the 20172 chipset at least iirc)
DEC chipset would benefit everything from cheap sound cards, to
high-end IO (scatter-gather even if hardware does not support it and
direct access to/from host memory > 4GB without needing bounce
buffers).

only machines without this IOMMU are the AMD chipset machines, but
they have AGP.

> Alex

--paulj