Re: Linux 2.4.1-ac7

From: Kurt Roeckx (Q@ping.be)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 20:54:06 EST

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 08:12:39PM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/2.4/
> >
> > 2.4.1-ac7
> > o Rebalance the 2.4.1 VM (Rik van Riel)
> > | This should make things feel a lot faster especially
> > | on small boxes .. feedback to Rik
>
> I'd really like feedback from people when it comes to this
> change. The change /should/ fix most paging performance bugs
> because it makes kswapd do the right amount of work in order
> to solve the free memory shortage every time it is run.

I just tested ac8.

If I run this test, the system gets really slow. It takes about
a second between the time I press a key, and the time it appears
on the screen. The load goes way up. Everything seems to block.

This is a box with 64 MB or RAM, and 32 MB of swap. There isn't
much running on the box while doing this, only dnetc.

It starts to get slow from the time the process starts is about
70 MB. Then you really hear the disk work. It ended up at about
75 MB, where it got killed by the OOM killer. (For once it killed
the right thing!)

I ran a vmstat 1, while doing this, and have attached the output.

It ran for serval minutes. The process itself took about 1
minutes of CPU time, and so did kswapd. It took atleast 5
minutes real time.

I once did just the same with 2.4.0, it took more like 30 minutes
then, and I ended up killing the process myself.

Kurt