Re: limit on number of kmapped pages

From: David Wragg (dpw@doc.ic.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 18:53:16 EST

"Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@redhat.com> writes:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 12:35:12AM +0000, David Wragg wrote:
> >
> > > And why do the pages need to be kmapped?
> >
> > They only need to be kmapped while data is being copied into them.
>
> But you only need to kmap one page at a time during the copy. There
> is absolutely no need to copy the whole chunk at once.

The chunks I'm copying are always smaller than a page. Usually they
are a few hundred bytes.

Though because I'm copying into the pages in a bottom half, I'll have
to use kmap_atomic. After a page is filled, it is put into the page
cache. So they have to be allocated with page_cache_alloc(), hence
__GFP_HIGHMEM and the reason I'm bothering with kmap at all.

David Wragg