Re: monitoring I/O

From: Daniel Kobras (kobras@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 06:57:45 EST

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Nicholas Dronen wrote:

> Check out the disk_io field in /proc/stat.

Which unfortunately provides only some pieces of information Michael wants
to gather. SCT's sard patches give you much improved statistics that
should basically do what you want. I'm not sure of the current location of
the sard patches but as RedHat puts sard in its kernel, it should be
available somewhere on redhat.com, I suppose. Check out the sysstat
package for userlevel tools. Earlier versions of sard can be found at
ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/sct/fs/profiling/

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 11:52:36AM +1100, Michael McLeod wrote:
> > I am hoping someone can give me a little information or point me in the
> > right direction. I would like to write an application that monitors I/O
> > on a linux machine, but I need some help in determining where to get the
> > information I'm looking for. What I would like to do is 'hook' into the
> > kernel and record information such as volume name, type of request (read
> > or write), the amount of data being read or written, how long each
> > transaction takes....

Regards,

Daniel.

--