Re: Happy new year^H^H^H^Hkernel..

From: Hugh Dickins (hugh@veritas.com)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 11:07:36 EST

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Kai Germaschewski wrote:

> I think the problem was that we relied on divert_if being initialized to
> zero automatically, which didn't happen because it was not declared static
> and therefore not in .bss (*is this true?*).

This is true in this particular case, and your added "static" is good.
But you seem to miss the root of the problem, that isdn_common.c declares
an "isdn_divert_if *divert_if", and divert/divert_init.c declares
an "isdn_divert_if divert_if" (initialized non-zero). When the two .os
were linked, you got a single "divert_if" (initialized non-zero in .data).
Wouldn't it be best to (keep the "static" but also) change the name of the
pointer in isdn_common.c?

Hugh