Re: Camera as a USB mass storage / SCSI device

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo (acme@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 13:46:34 EST

Em Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 03:25:25PM -0500, Alastair Foster escreveu:
> USB support appears to be coming along nicely. I have just aquired an Agfa
> ePhoto digital camera. I have heard several success stories of people who
> have compiled kernels with SCSI and USB mass storage support and been able
> to emulate their camera's flash memory as a SCSI disk on bootup. Accessing
> the camera was then simply a matter of mounting the SCSI device.
>
> Unfortunately, my camera does not get recognised on bootup. This is hardly
> surprising, given that the kernel has no way of determining the camera as a
> USB mass storage device. However, I'm curious as to how others have managed
> to get away with this by doing nothing more than compiling their kernel with
> the above options. Is there some sort of database which tells the kernel to
> associate a particular USB product ID and vendor with a particular driver?
> If so, is there any way to edit this database?

/usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/storage/usb.c, look for:

/* This is the list of devices we recognize, along with their flag data */

/* The vendor name should be kept at eight characters or less, and
 * the product name should be kept at 16 characters or less. If a device
 * has the US_FL_DUMMY_INQUIRY flag, then the vendor and product names
 * normally generated by a device thorugh the INQUIRY response will be
 * taken from this list, and this is the reason for the above size
 * restriction. However, if the flag is not present, then you
 * are free to use as many characters as you like.
 */
static struct us_unusual_dev us_unusual_dev_list[] = {

        { 0x03ee, 0x0000, 0x0000, 0x0245,
                "Mitsumi",
                "CD-R/RW Drive",
                US_SC_8020, US_PR_CBI, NULL, 0},